



Midway through February Molly started getting sick with what we thought was a cold or maybe just teething. She was congested and had a cough. She was drooling a lot and liked to chew on things so we thought most likely teething. On the 23rd of Feb she had a slight fever again we thought that it was just teething. Ethan had been sick a couple of days before with Strep so we weren't sure exactly what was going on. On Feb 24th she still wasn't feeling good. She woke up from a nap with a temp of 102.5. We knew it was more then just teething. I knew we needed to take her to the Doctor. Well our Dr was 50min away (I know, along was to go to for the Dr, but I love him and cant switch, I have yet to find a dr up her that I even like a little)I called and made the appt for 6:45. Matt was suppose to work but called in and said he could come in. We then drove to Draper. the boys were being restless so I told Matt to take them to get dinner and I would just take Molly. They leave and soon after they take us back. They started doing the normal weighing her, checking her temp and oxygen level.They were unable to get a good oxygen reading on her so they gave her a breathing treatment and then put her on oxygen. Her breathing still wasn't going good. They had her up to 4 liters of oxygen and she was barley at 90%. The Dr told me they were going to have to take her to Primary Childrens by ambulance. I called Matt, told him to take the kids to his parents and meet me at Primary's. This all happened withing 15 minutes of me being back.
The ambulance came, loaded us up and we were on our way. In the ambulance the kept checking her vitals, did a breathing treatment on her and had her on oxygen. At one point her temp peaked at 105 and her heart rate was almost triple of what it was suppose to be. It spiked at 250. Once we got to Primarys they started her on all sorts of test. They checked her for RSV, tried to put an iv in her hand but was unable to so they had to put one in her head. (that was so hard to see) They were able to take her off of the oxygen and her stats started to look up, all but the heart rate. They took chest xrays and did an E.K.G. on her. The funniest part was when the 2 male nurses would come into the room she would glare at them since they were the mean ones who put an IV in her. Matts parents came up and Grandpa and Matt gave her a blessing. We were in the ER for a couple more hours while they were waiting for test result and getting a room ready. The Drs came in and said she didn't have RSV so we had to wait for more the other test to come back. Finally around 2am they got us a room in the R.T.U unit because every other room was used. This was the busiest Primary's has ever been. They were double and tripling people in rooms. Lucky for us we got our own room. The test finally came back saying she had human metapneumovirus.Which is basically a mutated form of RSV. All night the Drs would come check on her. At some point she pulled her IV out of her head and so they had to redue it, this time they were able to get it in her hand and it was so much better. About 5 in the morning her oxygen levels went down and so they had to put her back on oxygen. She had that for a couple more hours, then the Dr came in and told us they were taking her off of everything and that we were going home. We stayed at Primary's until 11 that day when I was glad to be going home but think they would have kept us longer if they weren't so busy. We had 4 differnt Drs and 3 of the 4 told us one thing and the last Dr told us something completly different. She told us we didn't need to do anything that the other Drs said to do and sent us on our way with just oxygen for the night and if we needed suctioning we could go to a clinic and have that done.
Friday I drove back down to Primary's to have her suctioned and then again Saturday night we loaded the kids back up and drove back down to get her suctioned again. Saturday we also took her back to our doctor where he put her back on a steriod and breathing treatments.
The next couple days we watched her closely. She began improving greatly and was starting to get back to her self. She would through huge fits when we tried to put oxygen on her and then whine for a couple of hours after we would take it off. So we had many sleepless nights on the couch.
She is back to normal now and we are so grateful.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Molly and the trip to the Hospital
Posted by Ranae and Matt at 3:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh man Ranae, I am so glad that is over. That sounds so scary! I am so glad she is okay. That would have put me over the edge....the head IV sounds so scary. I am glad you are so close to Primary Children's, such a great hospital.
Geez Ranae, what an ordeal! Glad its over and that your little one is feeling better.
Oh poor Molly Dolly! Those pictures are so sad. I don't know how you did it and to see them put that iv in her head. that breaks my heart! I am so glad she is better now!
oh man! you did not have a very good week! I am so glad to know that she is doing better! You and matt are amazing! yeah for molly doing better and hears to you being able to get some sleep again!
Post a Comment