Friday, July 18, 2008

mowing the lawn

I was reading my friends blog and she had written about how she mowed the lawn for the first time(way to go) which reminded me of my lawn mowing experience I had not to long ago. Growing up my dad loved to take care of the yard (he still does). We had an immaculate yard. I never had to mow the lawn or ever pull weeds. No I wasn't spoiled. That is what my dad loved to do and plus we never had weeds seriously. I do remember going over to my friend Jill's house to help her pull her weeds just so she could play sooner. So anyways in my new house we have weeds and lots of them but that is a story for another day. Back to the mowing the lawn. Matt always is the one that takes care of our yard. I have mowed once or twice but have always done a horrible job by leaving strips of unmowed grass. So Matt ends up fixing it. Since
Matt is hardly ever home anymore and when he is he has so much going on that I decided that I would mow the lawn. On day in particular I was mowing the lawn, I couldn't get the dang thing started, it look almost 5 minutes to start it. I wasn't pulling it hard enough. So finally I get it started and its going great. I was mowing away and I had mowed 3/4 of the front yard when all of the sudden the front wheel falls off. I call Matt and asked him what to do, he tells me so I fix it or so I thought. I start mowing again and the dang things falls off again. After about 15 minutes of trying to get the wheel back on I finally did and as soon as I was done the neighbor leans over the fence and asks if I needed any help. Now he asks! I finish the front and moved on to the little strip that on the side of the drive way. I am almost done with that and I have 2 strips left and I run out of gas for the mower and we don't have any in the gas can. I called Matt and told him I was done. I am to scared to get gas in the gas can I am afraid of blowing up. So the lawn had to wait until Matt came home and could go get gas.

10 comments:

Emily Youngdell said...

That sounds like we had similar experiences! Oh man, I got a good laugh when you said the wheels fell off. You know what, I decided to tackle the lawn too because it seems like whenever Jake does have a day off there is so much to do. Well Ranae, I say we give ourselves a pat on the back for the effort that we put into it. So what if the lines are crooked and there are long pieces of grass in random places?!

everything petersen said...

I pray that never happens to me! I love mowing the lawn. I think it gives me time alone with out the kids.

Cassie said...

I don't even know how to even start my lawn mower, so you are a head of the game. I guess I should try to help Corey out a little more....it is the thought that counts. I am sure Matt appreciated it.

Erin said...

lol mine was out of gas and when my dad was here I had him take me to the gas station to show me how cause I was scared of blowing up too.

Susy said...

You're a toughy Ranae. I would have quit when the wheel fell off the first time...oh wait, I wouldn't have even started. I can't say that I've ever even started my lawn mower.

Sarah Lee said...

That's comical... I'm sure your neighbor was watching the whole time laughing. I actually WANT to mow the lawn, but Sean doesn't let me, BECAUSE I am retarded and always forget how to start it, or I make him empty the heavy bag full of grass. The story about your dad is exactly how my mom was. I just assumed weeds did not grow in our yard and that somehow our lawn was always magically manicured to perfection. Now I know all the hard work it takes, but i've found I enjoy it too. I can't say i've had such bad luck with that many things in one day though... ;)

marlene said...

At least you put forth effort - we have lived here for four years and I have only mowed the lawn once! I am a diva, I admit it :)

Marie Lefler said...

Noah had a wonderful time with Trey, and he was a really good boy. There were only a few times where I had to intervien, but who doesn't when kids are playing together. They just need to be reminded to share and be nice.

Noah loved having Trey over and he is welcome anytime! And I'm not just saying that. I hope you were able to rest a little and get some things done around the house.

Rachel Teran said...

Treyson loves me, even though he can't remember my name. :) Yesterday was much fun, MUST do it again!!

Keiauni said...

BLAH! I will never mow another lawn in my lifetime! This I guarantee! (I did it every saturday of my miserable exsistence when i lived with my parents:)

LOL! that is a funny story:)