Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Not fun!!!!





For the last 2 1/2 weeks we have been dealing with something like hand foot and mouth. They didn't get rashes on there hands or feet but has sores in their mouths. 2 1/2 weeks ago Ethan woke up from a nap with a slight fever. By that night he had a fever of around 102. The next day woke up with a fever about the same and wouldn't eat. He would put his hands in his mouth and say ow. When Matt got home we held him down and looked in his mouth. In his throat he had sores all over that looked like cankers. So we took him to the Dr and they told me he had coxsackievirus which is the over all virus that causes a whole bunch of different things. The treatment for this was let it run its coarse. The next day he wakes up with sores in his mouth and on the outside of his mouth and still a fever. His gums got really sore and would bleed like crazy if you barely touched them. He had a fever for a couple of days and still has sores on the outside of his mouth that are now almost healed, His gums still slightly bleed when we brush them. Overall I think Ethan did pretty good considering the sore mouth. I had 1 canker and thought I was going to die. Not really but it hurt like crazy, so I can't imagine what a hole mouth full would feel like.Then last week Trey came down with the same thing. While Ethan was sick Trey kept drinking out of Ethans sippy cup. We would tell him all the time not to but I think that just made him want to do it more. I think Trey had a harder time then Ethan. He had a fever for 5 days that was between 101 and 103. Those fevers really did it to him. We would give him medicine and he would be fine for a while but you could always tell when the fever was kicking up because he wuold look like death warmed over. He would sit on the couch with glassy eyes and bearly move. Then he would take a nap and Trey doesn't take naps. He got horrible sores on his tounge and the corners of his lips. His gums also were sore to and bleed as soon as you touched him. This poor boy has lost 3 pounds because he can't eat (good thing he is such a solid kid that it didn't really hurt him to loose that much)You can tell to. Today is the first time that he is even really eating without a problem and its only a cupcake. He would cry because he wanted food and everytime he tried to eat it his mouth would bleed and he would cry. Milk and ice cream were the only things that he would eat.

3 comments:

Emily Youngdell said...

My friend Lana has two kids and they just barely got over Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease and she said it was awful! Honestly, it sounds horrible. I feel so bad for your boys. I can't believe Trey lost 3 pounds. I hope that things are looking up for you guys.

Cassie said...

That is so sad. The pictures are bad, that looks like it would really hurt. I feel your pain, Noah had Hand, foot and mouth disease not to long ago. It was horrible. His tongue was covered with sores and he couldn't eat either.

Marie Lefler said...

Poor kid! Although I wouldn't mind losing an extra 3 pounds myself, I still wouldn't want to suffer that way to get it.

Glad to hear he is doing well, and just in time for his birthday!